Thanks to B.G. from over at “Getting Through Anxiety”, for nominating everyone with a mental health issue to participate in this amazing tag!
- What mental illness do you have? I don’t really consider my stuff an “illness”, just because I don’t feel “sick”. But technically, I’ve been diagnosed with, Social Anxiety, Paranoid Schizophrenia, Severe Depression, and ADHD.
- When were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed with Depression and ADHD at 14, later I was also diagnosed with Social Anxiety, and Paranoid Schizophrenia while being hospitalized in a mental institution.
- Who knows about it? Well when I was a Junior in HS I was sent to the mental institution, and then later transferred schools. Everyone from my previous high school probably found out since I literally dropped off the plant earth. But that I 100% know of, my mother, father, whole family, my fiancé, her immediate family, our closest friends, and our best friends family. Pretty much the “main” people I’m affiliated with.
- Do you receive treatment for it? Yes, I’m currently on medication for anxiety, schizophrenia, depression, ADHD and sleeping problems due to night terrors.
- Has your mental illness stopped you from doing anything? Oh lort, yes yes! Literally everyday things. Going out to dinner with my fiancé, attending college, keeping a job, keeping friends, attending family gatherings, visiting my grandparents in nursing home, visiting friends in labor at hospital, going on vacation with family or my girlfriends family, going to the market, going into stores, getting invited to parties because people know I’m going to “puss out”, pretty much everyday, I’m held back from doing something.
- Is there anything in particular that has helped you? Yes, talking about my “issues” instead of acting as if everything was okay. Being honest about my anxiety, example, telling people I have it before they find out the hard way. Meeting similar people online and in mental institutions. Having my fiancé and family on my side throughout it all.
- Can you describe what it feels like to have your mental illness? Anxiety feels like you don’t have control over your own emotions. Depression feels like you have don’t have control over your own emotions, or expressions. Schizophrenia feels like you don’t have control over your own thoughts, and sometimes your senses. ADHD feels like you don’t have control over your limbs, they bounce around and do what they want. Having a mental illness to me, means not having control.
- What is a common misconception about your mental health issue? With anxiety, people mainly think I’m faking it, and need to “suck it up”. With depression, people think I’m being lazy. With ADHD people think I’m hyper. With schizophrenia people think I’m crazy and talk about killing them with the voices in my head.
- What do you find the most difficult to deal with? Probably my anxiety and schizophrenia all at once. Not only am I terrified everywhere I go, but I have three little voices down grading me with every step I take. It just makes staying home all day, a lot easier.
- Do you have anything else you’d like to say? Please stop judging us “mental” people for the labels we’ve been handed. We didn’t ask for these “issues” just as you didn’t ask for brown eyes. Think before you speak!
Any person who has a mental health “issue”. If you do participate, please comment and let me know!! I’d love to read your answers!